Thursday, February 24, 2011

Walk a Paragraph

"97.1 Sun FM" the radio blasted as the time reached 7:00. As quickly as I could I rolled to my left and slammed by hand down on the old grey, beat up alarm clock. I swing my pale white legs off the side of the bed and reach for my slippers. As my eyes start to become more focused the rest of my apartment comes into veiw. Its not as bad as it looked before as I added paintings and other decorations to the walls. I wander over to the fridge and open the heavy stainless steel door, and once again it opens to emptiness. I pour a glass of milk using the remainder of the carton and proceed to sit on the couch next to my framed diploma I earned just last summer. As I reach over to the cheap wooden coffee table I realize that today is Sunday, and I dont have the latest issue of People Magazine. Considering its somewhat of a tradition, I rummage through my room looking through every article of clothing I own for loose change. After about ten minutes, Ive scrounged up just enough nickels and dimes to buy my magazine. Within a quarter of an hour im dressed in my usual white lulu lemon hoody, and yoga pants.I leave my short blonde hair down today and on my way out of the door I stop to grab my sunglasses. The mall isnt to far from my apartment and considering I had to sell my vehicle to finish school, the walk is fine with me. Sometimes I wish the mall was even a little bit further from my place, the extra walking could come in handy to help burn some extra calories throughout the week as i cant afford a gym membership like i could in the past. I get to the mall in a matter of minutes and instinctively head right to the front of the store where the magazines are kept. I grab the latest issue and proceed through the check out. The walk back home is much more refreshing as the sun has made an appearance and many of the flowers are once again starting to bloom. Upon returning to my apartment and perusing through the new magazine, I decided it would be best to check my emails. The old computer takes its time as always, and millions of thoughts are running through my head, most of which are bad. Over the past few weeks I have dropped off many applications at different locations just looking for a minimum wage job to help pay rent and feed myself. Minutes pass, and my nerves are starting to get the best of me. All I can do until the computer loads is hope, and from prior experiences my hopes dont do much to influence the future, or the past. When the computer finally gets up and running I open my emails and to my excitement, an inbox message from a local business saying that my application has been accepted is awaiting me. I havent had a feeling like this in years. At last, my life finally seems to be headed in a direction away from struggling to keep a roof over my head and a fridge somewhat stocked with food. Ever since the day 9 years ago where my mom died in a car accident and my father left, my life has been somewhat misguiding, but today, more so than any other day, I finally have a reason to a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment