Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Worst Meal I Ever Had..

4:30. Time for dinner. As I walk up the stairs towards the kitchen the smell of scalloped potatoes drifts up my nostrils. Even though this will be one of my first meals at my new billet families house, I can already tell that it will be delectable. As I sit down at the counter alongside my roommate, a tall frosted glass of chocolate milk awaits me. What a perfect way to start dinner. As I crushed the milk, I watched as the casserole dish was removed from the oven.
  "Odd" I thought to myself, seeing as it couldnt have been in there longer than 5 minutes, which is barely enough time to melt the cheese!
  "Dinner is served" John said, as he placed the dish on top of the marble countertop. He zipped over to the drawer and pulled out a plastic spoon that would be used to scoop the golden brown delight onto our plates. Without hesitation my hand shot for the spoon the instant it was set upon the table. After recieving a glares from around the table, I dug in and dropped the massive heap of potatoes on my plate. Even though I was the first to dish up, I had enough respect to wait for the rest of the family to fill their plates before eating. At last the moment had come for me to dig in and experience what dreams really are made of. I grab the fork in my right hand and pick out a potatoe that looks about as good as it can get. The smell is overwhelming and I drive my fork into the sloppy mess. To my surprise, the fork bounces off the potatoe and comes close to rebounding back into my face! A wave of shock overcomes me and im confused about the event that had just taken place. I try once again, and just as I thought, the result is the same. I suddenly realize that the unthinkable has happened. Frozen potatoes. As John asks everyone what they think of the meal, we all glance at each other quickly and respond with a unified "Its awesome".
  The next five minutes passed in somewhat of a blur and I wasnt sure if I was close to passing out, or throwing up. I forced the rock hard vegetables down my throat and hoped that they would thaw out as I took my time. Before long I came to realize that there was no way the plate would ever become empty and that this dinner was nowhere close to what I had hoped for. I quickly excused myself from the table, as did my room mate, and scraped the food into the waste bin. With a sarcastic "thank you", we headed for the basement along with a handful of oreo cookies, and a granola bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment